By TOM LaMARRE
The 83rd version of what’s now the Wyndham Championship is the ultimate occasion of the 2021-22 common season on the PGA Tour and gamers are scrambling to enhance their place within the FedEx level standings whereas others are hoping to climb into the 125 to make the playoffs.
Match organizers can solely hope for an occasion with drama near what occurred final yr at Sedgefield Nation Membership in Greensboro, N.C., in what began out because the Larger Greensboro Open when the good Sam Snead received the primary one in 1938.
Kevin Kisner (pictured) shot 66-66 on the weekend and made a four-foot birdie putt on the second further gap to defeat 2016 champion Si Woo Kim of South Korea, Adam Scott of Australia, Brandon Grace of South Africa, Kevin Na and Roger Sloan of Canada in a six-man playoff.
It tied the PGA Tour file for the biggest variety of golfers in a playoff.
“I used to be fairly calm all day,” Kisner mentioned after claiming his fourth PGA Tour victory. “I used to be truly just a little extra amped up early on than coming down the stretch. That’s what’s loopy about people and strain, you by no means know if you’re going to be feeling it or the way you’re going to react. After I obtained off to a fairly good begin, I used to be feeling nice. Feeling some warmth, which is what we love. Then I didn’t actually assume I had an opportunity to win with 4, 5 holes to go, so I wasn’t feeling that strain.
“Then entering into the playoff and all that was happening, you didn’t actually have time to consider the strain, you’re watching golf, attempting to determine what was happening, all these guys had putts to make birdie there on 18. I knew that I had a fairly good shot at making my (successful) putt. It was a kind of putts you dream about having, three and a half, 4 toes, proper edge, simply get it going, so I wasn’t too consumed with the strain on my putt. It’s a loopy option to break the no-wins-in-playoff streak, but it surely was a enjoyable week, superior week.”
Additionally within the area this week are Scott, two-time winner Brandt Snedeker, 2019 Wyndham champion J.T. Poston, Shane Lowry of Eire, Sungjae Im of South Korea, Jason Day of Australia, Russell Henley, Will Zalatoris, Webb Simpson, Corey Conners of Canada, Billy Horschel, Joohyung Kim of South Korea, Brian Harman, Kevin Streelman, Taylor Pendrith of Canada, Cameron Champ of Sacramento, Tyrrell Hatton of England, Denny McCarthy, Scott Stallings, Justin Rose of England, Harold Varner III, Martin Laird of Scotland, Harris English, Christiaan Bezuidenhout of South Africa and Sebastian Munoz of Colombia.
All of them are jockeying for place heading into the primary occasion of the FedEx Cup playoffs subsequent week, the FedEx St. Jude Championship week at TPC Southwind in Memphis, Tenn.
Following are the BMW Championship at Wilmington Nation Membership in Wilmington, Del., and the Tour Championship at East Lake Golf Membership in Atlanta, the place this yr’s champion will probably be topped.
Fourth-ranked Patrick Cantlay of Los Alamitos and UCLA received the BMW Championship and the Tour Championship final yr to say the title and hopes to repeat.
Different former Wyndham champions along with Snead embrace Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Gary Participant of South Africa, Seve Ballesteros of Spain, Billy Casper, Raymond Floyd, Gene Littler, Sandy Lyle of Scotland, Tom Weiskopf, Julius Boros, Chi Rodriguez, Doug Sanders, Lloyd Mangrum, Bob Charles of New Zealand, Al Geiberger, Doug Ford, Bob Goalby, Dow Finsterwald, Mark O’Meara, George Archer, Craig Stadler, Lanny Wadkins, Larry Nelson, Davis Love III, Hal Sutton, Sergio Garcia of Spain, Patrick Reed, Henrik Stenson of Sweden, Webb Simpson, Ok.J. Choi of South Korea, Steve Elkington of Australia, Mike Souchak, Ralph Guldahl, Shigeki Maruyama of Japan and Brandt Snedeker.
Snead received the match an astounding eight instances, a PGA Tour file Tiger Woods equaled with eight victories within the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
1. Shane Lowry, Eire – The 2019 Open Champion has been knocking on the door with three top-three finishes this season on the PGA Tour, together with second within the RBC Heritage and a tie for third within the Masters. Lowry, a five-time winner as a professional, is making his look begin within the Wyndham Championship and he tied for seventh in 2017 along with a tie for twenty third in 2020.
2. Will Zalatoris, United States – The 2020-21 PGA Tour Rookie of the Yr, who received on the Korn Ferry Tour in 2020, nonetheless is winless on the massive tour however he has eight top-10 finishes this season, together with second within the PGA Championship and a tie for second within the U.S. Open. Zalatoris tied for twenty ninth within the Wyndham Championship final season with 4 scores within the 60s.
3. Kevin Kisner, United States – Kiz claimed his fourth PGA Tour victory final yr within the Wyndham when he received a six-man playoff with a birdie on the second further gap, and has 4 top-10 leads to the match, together with a tie for third in 2020. This season, he has 5 top-10 outcomes, together with second within the WGC-Dell Match Play and fourth within the Gamers Championship.
4. Webb Simpson, United States – The 2012 U.S. Open champion claimed one in all his seven PGA Tour victories within the 2011 Wyndham, and has completed within the high 10 9 instances in 13 begins within the match, together with the final 5 in a row—with two seconds and two thirds. Amongst his greatest outcomes this yr have been a tie for eighth within the RSM Basic and a tie for twentieth within the PGA.
5. Sungjae Im, South Korea – Along with claiming his second PGA Tour victory within the Shriners Youngsters’s Open earlier this season, Im has six different leads to the highest 10, together with a tie for second two weeks in the past within the 3M Open and a tie for eighth within the Masters. In three begins within the Wyndham, he tied sixth in 2019, tied for ninth in 2020 and tied for twenty fourth final season.
6. Corey Conners, Canada – Amongst Conners’ 10 finishes within the high 10 this season have been a tie for sixth within the Masters, third within the WGC-Dell Applied sciences Match Play and sixth at dwelling within the RBC Canadian Open. Winner of the 2019 Valero Texas Open, he’s making his fourth begin within the Wyndham Championship and his greatest was a tie for twenty second in 2019 with 4 rounds within the 60s.
7. Billy Horschel, United States – His seventh PGA Tour victory got here earlier this season within the Memorial Match and he additionally has two-runner-up finishes amongst 10 leads to the highest 10. Horschel is one in all 5 gamers who misplaced to Kevin Kisner in a playoff final yr within the Wyndham, wherein he additionally tied for fifth in 2016, tied for tied for sixth in 2019 and tied for eleventh in 2018.
8. Russell Henley, United States – A 3-time winner on each the PGA Tour and what’s now the Korn Ferry Tour, Henley is coming off a tie for tenth final week within the Rocket Mortgage after he completed second within the Sony Open in Hawaii and tied for thirteenth within the Gamers Championship earlier this season. He tied for ninth in Wyndham on 2020 and tied for seventh final season.
9. Tyrrell Hatton, England – An eight-time winner as a professional, together with the 2020 Arnold Palmer Invitational and the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship final season, Hatton tied for eleventh within the one hundred and fiftieth Open Championship and tied for thirteenth within the PGA this yr, along with tying for second within the Arnold Palmer. Shot 68-71, however missed the minimize in his solely Wyndham look in 2016.
10. Scott Stallings, United States – Completed in a tie for tenth within the Rocket Mortgage final week, his sixth top-10 end on the PGA Tour this season and third in a row, following a tie for eighth within the Vacationers Championship and a tie for fourth within the John Deere Basic. Stallings’ greatest lead to eight begins within the Wyndham Championship was a tie for 14th in his first one in 2012.
OTHER PLAYERS TO WATCH: Adam Scott, Australia; J.T. Poston, United States; Si Woo Kim, South Korea; Harold Varner III, United States; Brian Harman, United States; Justin Rose, England; Jason Day, Australia; Martin Laird, Scotland; Harris English, United States; Sebastian Munoz, Colombia; Brandt Snedeker, United States; Danny Willett, England; Stewart Cink, United States; Rickie Fowler, United States.
1. Joohyung Kim, South Korea – Six-time winner as a professional closed with 63 final Sunday to complete seventh within the Rocket Mortgage Basic. Additionally was third in Scottish Open, twenty third in one hundred and fiftieth Open.
2. Taylor Pendrith, Canada – T-2 within the Rocket Mortgage final week after T-11 in Barracuda, T-13 in Barbasol the 2 earlier weeks. Additionally T-13 in Gamers Championship earlier this season.
3. Davis Riley, United States – Twice a winner on Korn Ferry Tour final yr, Riley has six top-10s on PGA Tour in 2022, together with second in Valspar, T-4 in Charles Schwab, fifth in Mexico.
4. Christiaan Bezuidenhout, South Africa – Has seven professional titles and this yr on PGA Tour was T-2 in John Deere amongst 9 finishes within the top-25. Was T-37 within the 2020 Wyndham.
5. Chris Gotterup, United States – Rookie out of Oklahoma completed T-7 in Puerto Rico Open in first begin on the PGA Tour and likewise was T-4 in John Deere Basic with 4 rounds within the 60s.
For first-round tee instances, go to: