To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox daily at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Monday is right here, and we’re excited to throw ourselves into one other week of summertime tech information. Apropos summer time — because the VCs cease answering their telephones in favor of consuming elderflower lime martinis, enjoying pickleball, spelunking within the Bitcoin mines, and kite browsing (I can solely assume that’s what VCs do for his or her summer time break), it provides us tech reporters a bit extra time to go deeper on a number of the tales and firms which have been itching our curiosity nerve.
In my distant previous as a startup founder, lengthy earlier than I turned a author at TechCrunch, exhibiting at TechCrunch Disrupt turned out to be an enormous second for my first startup. As an early-stage startup founder, you realize that the hustle is a part of the sport; if your organization doesn’t have the price range to attend, you may apply to be a volunteer and attend that means. Don’t miss the volunteer FAQ to see if it is a good possibility for you! — Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
Startups and VC
The regulatory surroundings surrounding crypto is shifting within the US because the SEC takes goal at main gamers within the web3 world, promising to shake up enterprise as ordinary with aggressive motion. David Nage discusses how regulatory scrutiny is impacting enterprise funding in web3. It’s a fantastic dialog with Lucas and Anita on this week’s episode of Chain Response, for you podcast followers!
Oui Capital, an Africa-focused VC agency based mostly in Lagos and Massachusetts, introduced at this time that it has accomplished the primary closing of its $30 million second fund, Tage stories. The agency seeks to strengthen its presence on the continent.
Extra extra extra:
- Headline of the week: Ugh, why is Natasha M so good! Don’t miss her Startups Weekly, the succinct recap of what’s what within the land of startups this previous week. Additionally, “The bootstrapped are coming, the bootstrapped are coming” is simply straight-up :chefs-kiss:.
- Like video games, however chainier: The runaway success of Axie Infinity and StepN has satisfied a flurry of entrepreneurs that web3 gaming is the longer term. In Rita’s piece, gaming vets promise to make blockchain video games enjoyable and sustainable.
- Nonetheless equal, simply with fatter coffers: Equal Ventures has a brand new pair of funds. The New York Metropolis–based mostly agency has closed a $95 million second fund and its first alternative fund, value $75 million, Natasha M sleuthed out from the agency’s SEC filings.
- Speak to the machine: UiPath has acquired Reinfer, a London-based startup that’s creating pure language processing (NLP) instruments for enterprises, Paul stories.
- Ixnay on the Chipper Money: Kenya has directed all banks to cease coping with Chipper Money and Flutterwave, claiming that the businesses are unlicensed, Annie stories.
- Extra Buoyant local weather market: The climate-focused VC Buoyant Ventures targets $100 million fund because the local weather market continues to evolve, Harri stories.
Construct a strong deck on your quarterly board conferences
Board conferences are nice for getting suggestions in your progress and your plans for the longer term, however what’s one of the best ways to inform them what’s happening?
In response to Ridge Ventures accomplice Yousuf Khan, usually the most effective and easiest option to “make sure you’re offering board members with the data they wish to see is to simply ask them.”
“Reaching out to your board not solely helps present a way of path, it additionally provides you the chance to construct your relationship. Folks recognize the chance to weigh in,” he says.
Khan additionally lays out seven suggestions for constructing a presentation to offer your board updates in your progress, plans, the product and financials.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You’ll be able to enroll right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
Hyundai is contemplating buying the South Korea–based mostly lidar-free autonomous mobility platform 42dot. A spokesperson of 42dot instructed Kate that the startup is in talks, however cautioned that phrases, together with stake dimension and deal valuation, haven’t materialized but.
In one of many head-scratchiest strikes shortly, Spotify introduced it’ll introduce a Play button and a Shuffle button on the high of albums’ playlists to make it simpler to play the music the best way you want, Sarah stories. Plot twist: the separate buttons are solely obtainable to paid subscribers. As Sarah concludes, “Streamers could also be dissatisfied to seek out out that what needs to be an app replace in favor of higher usability is oddly being bought to them as a purpose to improve.”
A number of extra:
- You by no means know once you want denims in 25 minutes: E-commerce large Amazon launches same-day supply from choose retail shops, together with PacSun and Diesel, Aisha stories.
- Accountless Twitter in testing: Ivan stories on a brand new check from Twitter, the place now you can use Twitter’s iOS app with out signing up for an account.
- Pinterest Shuffles into your temper boards: Social media firm Pinterest debuts a brand new app, Shuffles, for collage-making and moodboards, Sarah stories.
- Uh-oh: Issues are getting (much more) fascinating in hacker land, as hackers steal passwords for accessing 140,000 cost terminals, stories Zack.
- AI could be going too far: There’s a purpose over 450,000 individuals learn Rising Tech Brew — the three-times-a-week electronic mail delivering the most recent know-how information impacting you and your world. Better part? It’s free and solely takes 5 minutes to learn, so there’s actually no purpose to not strive it. To remain up-to-date on the most recent tech and AI advances, join the Rising Tech Brew publication without cost.